Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Esme's Words

IMG_9659

I wanted to capture some more of Esme's vocabulary at this stage, mostly for my own benefit. (For the rest of you, there are some cute pictures from the last three months or so, which is the period when her speech really started to take off.) This won't be an exhaustive list, I'm sure, but at least I can get down some of the frequent and/or memorable words and phrases.

IMG_9680

blankie = "gankie"
baby
cute = "coo"
bok-bok (the sound a chicken makes) = "ba-ba"
Mommy, Mom, Mama
Daddy (or sometimes "Maddy")
Meg = "May" (I think sometimes she also uses this sound for Matthew's name)
me (This is a brand new one--she identified the pictures in this post as "Dah me?")
I want
I don't want any
excuse (she's supposed to say this before leaving the table) = "cooz"
one more = "muh muh"

IMG_9844

that = "dah"
no
yes = "yet"
my, mine
dress = "dess"
bottle = "botty"
What are we doing now, Mom? = "Wa-wa do now, Mom?"
shoe
sock = "da"
diaper = "buh-buh"
play = "pay"
I don't know = "dun no!"

IMG_9700

keys
home = "hone" (She is constantly asking, "Daddy hone?" Sweet.)
cracker (or cookie, or rice cake, or granola bar) = "kah-kah"
snack = "na"
please = "pea"
thank you = "ga gee" or "tank ee"
vitamin = "bi-min" (short i sound)
bed
night-night = "nie-nie"
down
hi
bye-bye
go

IMG_9720

potty
kiss = "muh"
hug = "huh"
cake (or muffin) = "cay"
spoon (or fork) = "poo"
Dora = "Do-ah"
Boots = "Buts"
Elmo = "Melmo"
Word World = "Wuh-Wuh"
amen
hot
ow, owie
hand = "han"
now

IMG_9704

Nana (also what she calls Aunt Lena, and sometimes Grandpop)
read = "wee"
God = "Gah" (She's always pointing to people in our picture Bible and saying, "Dat Gah? Dat Gah?")
Bible = "Bie-buh"
all = "ah" (When we say the Pledge of Allegiance each morning, she always chimes in for the final word.)
outside = "die"
come on = "mon!"
doggie = "goggie"
glasses = "ga-ga"
nose = "no"
phone
pony tail = "puh-puh"

IMG_0063

This is our third time watching the miracle of speech development, and I have to say, it is no less fun and delightful to Dave and me than it was with Meg or Matthew. Mmm, how can I treasure these precious baby days enough? It's just not possible!!!

PS: We love her curls.

2 comments:

Aunt Jessie said...

Well, one thing I learned from this: Don't give Esme a Boots and Dora spoon. "Buts do-uh poo."

Cara said...

Gee, Jess, I know I can always count on you to put pieces together in the most uplifting ways!