Friday, October 24, 2008

One Sure Thing

I notice that many folks are referring to our current times as "uncertain". I agree that we (Americans in particular, but also many others around the globe) face some unique and challenging circumstances at present. And I deeply sympathize with those who are in need, or just plain worried.

But I balk at the notion that these times are more uncertain than any other times. Truly, the "times" (whatever those might be) are never certain. Our circumstances are never sure--that is, we can never be sure that today's status quo will still stand tomorrow. In peaceful, prosperous times we may be lulled into believing that we know what is ahead, but we're only deceiving ourselves. The future is never clear--not if we are talking about politics or economics.

Perhaps that is why I found myself singing a certain hymn today, just a few moments ago, as I shifted laundry from washer to dryer. I had just finished reading a round of articles that focused on the upcoming elections, the wars, the economy, the energy crisis, and the many unanswered questions inherent in any discussion of these issues. Oh, how easy it is to walk away from these discussions discouraged. No one can agree on anything! No one seems to know the answers! I certainly don't know the answers! I don't think I like where we're headed! No one likes where we're headed!

Out of this muddle of dismal thoughts, a melody emerged. The Holy Spirit must have whispered the words in my ear; I know I wasn't looking for truth. But suddenly it was coming out of my mouth:

A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God’s own choosing:
You ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;
The Lord of Hosts, His Name, from age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.

And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not at him;
His rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure,
One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him Who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill: God’s truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.

Yes, the times are uncertain. They were uncertain when Martin Luther authored this hymn almost 500 years ago. Times have always been uncertain, ever since a serpent entered a garden and began his work of deceitful destruction.

And yet... there is a sure footing to be found, even when when the ground of circumstantial peace collapses right beneath us. Where shall we find this only solid ground? (I'm preaching to myself here, people!) My prayer is that we will seek it in God, our always-mighty fortress and deliverer. May you, and I, and the whole uncertain world we live in, learn to hide away in the only one whose kingdom is forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Cara.....
I was sitting here quietly this Sat. morning musing worriedly about the future and all the "bad news" that is out there. Likely my worry is compounded by a week of trying to deal with the economic downturn as it relates to the work that I do...
My absolute favorite hymn also. I get goose bumps when I sing it. And your words of hope, so well stated, surrounding it, gave me further goosebumps.
So, I will go about my next few weeks with a lighter heart than I had previously. I won't soon forget ML's hymn or your words. Love, The OG

Sandi said...

Well said Cara. Thanks for the encouragement. One of my favorites too.