Saturday, October 04, 2008

Meeting Emma

The other day I took the kids to go meet their newest friend: Emma Catherine Marcantonio. She was born in the wee sma's of Tuesday morning--healthy and beautiful, just like her mama. I didn't get to go visit them in the hospital, so I was nearly dying by the time Thursday rolled around. And, ahhhh, I got to hold her little newborn self, which, despite the cliche, is one of the most wonderful experiences in the world. What a tiny, itsy, bitsy, fragile, delicate, perfect thing she seemed as she cuddled my shoulder! And what a full head of shiny, sweet-scented, down-soft black hair she has! (Sorry, Wilcox babies--such glory will never be yours. I was bald until I was about five.)

Look--isn't she sweet?
Brand New Emma 1

My kids were very intrigued by her and, praise the Lord, reasonably gentle. Except that Matthew always wanted to be in the lap of whoever was holding her, so as to get good and close. (Better watch out, Matthew. Your Uncle Kris won't let kind of behavior pass for long.) Meg's assesment, as she stroked Emma's hair for the fourteenth time, was, "Awww... lil' baby Emma. Cute. She's... cute!" Always a smart thing to say to a new mom, Meggie.

Here is our photo commemoration of the Wilcoxes' first encounter with Emma:
Brand New Emma 3

Whoops! My flash wasn't on for that one. Here we go:
Brand New Emma 2
(I have to take this opportunity to make fun of my dear friend Jess. As we prepared to take this picture, she was grumbling about how I was dressed and had my make-up on and she was in her pajamas... blah, blah, blah, blah... you poor, photogenic thing you. Don't we all feel sooooo badly for you, you who just had a baby two days ago and still manage to look stunning in this picture. Wah.)

In all seriousness, we are delighted for our friends and were so very happy to meet their little girl. Kris and Jess, we're praying for you!

No comments: