Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Dailies, #6

Ummmm.... are you home yet? Oh, no, you're stuck in Louisville awaiting a flight that's been delayed till 11:50 p.m. Stink! You were supposed to be snuggling up to my zonked self in bed by then. Oh, well. Just try and secure some Mountain Dew for your drive home, OK? No falling asleep at the wheel, puh-lease!

Meg's first utterance when she cuddled up in my arms for bedtime prayers was, "Daddy...?" She said it in this sort of shy, wondering way, as if she was hoping it was really true that you'd be home tomorrow, but she wasn't quite sure. I assured her that, yes, she really would get to see you sometime tomorrow! She can't wait! And me neither!

This morning when I pulled up the dining room shade at breakfast, Meg's comment was, "That's so beee-wul!" (Beautiful.) Her pronunciation made me chuckle, as did her choice of adjectives, since it was drizzly and gray out, but I'm glad that she seems to appreciate our view so much!

Guess what we have? A beach house! Asher and Jacque went down to OBX this weekend and found a place in Duck--sounds like the northern part, but I'm not sure. Mom and Dad secured the rental yesterday. I have the link, so you'll get to check out the pictures tomorrow if you like. Spruills thought the beach access was very good, so hopefully Cub and the kids will have an easier time of it than last year. Exciting!

Meg and I looked at some of our beach pics from last year over dinner, and when she saw a close-up of herself with the brightly striped fabric of a beach chair in the background, she said that she was sitting on "a kite." I thought that was interesting. I told her that it was actually a beach chair, and when she saw the next picture, she correctly captioned it as "Meg and Daddy sitting on beach chairs together."

Matthew seemed fine today and is sleeping well so far tonight. Hopefully last night's fever was just a flash in the pan. Sweet little guy. His high temperature sure didn't seem to affect his temperament. I brought him downstairs for a few minutes to see if I could get some juice into him, and he was just crawling around in the kitchen like he always does, big smiles and happy coos as usual.

God was very near to me today, helping me to cry out to Him more frequently and use self-control in anger-prone moments. Still far from perfect, but I was encouraged. I re-listened to part of Josh's Mother's Day message last night and was literally talking out loud to myself throughout, trying to get a fresh hold on truths that I don't always seem to believe.

Josh: The outcome of your parenting is not dependent on your efforts.

Cara: No? No, it's not.

Josh: It is dependent on the grace of God.

Cara: Yes. YES.

Some quick pics, and then I'll be finished for tonight... and finished with this series of "Dailies", God willing!

This first shot featured one of my favorite Meg dress-up ensembles ever. It consisted of her onesie, the bloomers that matched the dress she had been wearing (said dress was discarded following breakfast after absorbing about a half cup of milk), and her pink winter hat. Gotta love a two-year old's fashion sense. Actually, it doesn't look much more bizarre than some of the get-ups that come down the runways in Milan and Paris.
5.27

Your wife and your son...
5

...and your little girl, jumping off the end of the twirly slide.
527

Before you know it, she'll be jumping into your arms... we can't wait to welcome you home, Love.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hey Cara,

Oh my goodness! I didn't even know you had a little boy too :) My, my, has that much time really passed? How adorable are your kids!

Thank you so much for praying for Joe and I! I'm so grateful.

Kristen