Monday, May 26, 2008

The Dailies, #5

Hey, Love. Is this our longest time ever away from each other, or does it just seem that way? Not that I'm complaining--I was thinking today about all of the military families who spend months and even years of their lives apart from each other--and they do it knowing that they may not see one another again. I'm so grateful for their sacrifice. It makes our little six days apart look pretty trivial, doesn't it? But I do still miss you. :)

As I texted you, we did make it home in one piece today. It was a little later than I originally intended, but we made it. And the only things I left at Mom's (so far as I have discovered) were a couple of food items in the fridge and freezer. (Including the lettuce for the Dabb's meal. Whoops! But I think they already had some.)

We need to remember to go to that park by the Dabbs' house one of these family days in the near future. What's it called? Ovid something Wells or something like that? Anyway, the playground there looks really fun. Meg was excited that we got to see it it twice. (Once when we drove in, once when we drove out.) Only imagine her joy if we should actually get out of the car and play on it!

It was kind of hard to leave Cubby. I know he'll be fine, but I liked being there to keep him company, and I know he liked it too. Ah, well. Tomorrow night you and Lena will both be home, and then no more aloneness for either of us!

When we walked in our front door today, I could smell our house smell. That's always so weird--to smell that smell that other people probably notice every time they come in, but I only notice when I've been away for an extended time.

I dealt with less anger overall today, I think, but I still gave in to temptation a couple of times and had to seek Meg's forgiveness. I am thankful that she seems to forgive me readily and completely. As soon as I confess and ask her to forgive me, the cloud of my sin seems to evaporate for her, and I am suddenly just her beloved mommy once more. I want to forgive like that!

This afternoon, when we pulled in to our parking space and got out of the car, Meg noticed a Honda across the street and said, "Daddy's car!" (It was a black Accord with pinstripe detailing, so she was pretty close!) She is really on the lookout for any sign your return... sweet.

After dinner and a few rounds of "Who's-Gonna-Get-You-In-The-Kitchen" tonight, Meg and I took some self-portraits, as I got no other pictures today. Here they are, for your amusement.

Our first attempts:
2Girls 1
2Girls 2

Then Meg decided she wanted to push the button. Here she is figuring out how to do it. Concentration...
2Girls 3

Meg worked hard on refining her button-pushing technique, by clicking away furiously. I worked (not very hard) on amusing myself, by making stupid faces.
2Girls 7
2Girls 8


And eventually we got one where we're both smiling AND looking in the right place! Amazing!!
2Girls 6

1 comment:

Sandi said...

hey Cara,

Feels like I am eaves dropping a bit...but have so enjoyed your posts the last few days. Your honesty is very refreshing. And I love all the pictures :o)