However. Now we dwell in the digital era, where blogs and email and cut and paste keyboard shortcuts make chain letters look... well, as laborious as they really were. My Canada-dwelling friend Mrs. M tagged me for this meme (which is sort of like a chain letter, except it's actually somewhat interesting). This is a little off-topic for my blog, which I usually try to keep on the subject of my family rather than myself. But if you'll indulge me for just this one post...
1. Were you named after anyone? I was not—my parents liked “Cara” because of its meaning: friend or dear one.
2. When was the last time you cried? 48 hours ago, on the phone with my husband in the midst of a rough day with Meg’s and my own sin.
3. Do you like your handwriting? Yeah, it’s fine. In grade school I worked so hard at developing my own style, but now it just is what it is. Sort of half-cursive/half-print.
4. What is your favorite lunch meat? Lunch meat is mostly icky. I’ll eat it, but it ranks low on my list. I do enjoy tuna and chicken salad sandwiches.
5. Do you have kids? Yup! One girly, one baby boy.
6. If you were another person would you be friends with you? I’m really not sure. But it’s much more likely now than it would have been 10 years ago!
7. Do you use sarcasm a lot? Hopefully not so much as I used to—mostly to tease my husband.
8. Do you still have your tonsils? Yes.
9. Would you bungee jump? Not in a jillion years.
10. What is your favorite cereal? Mmm… granola. Or raisin bran. Or cream of rice. Or oatmeal.
11. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Yes, but I rarely wear shoes that tie.12. Do you think you are strong? Nope! Not physically; not in any other way either!
13. What is your favorite ice cream? I’m not sure. Possibly orange sherbert with vanilla ice cream, but I love stuff like moose tracks too—stuff with chewy bits in it.
14. What is the first thing you notice about people? That really differs from person to person, I think—and the context in which I meet or notice them. I love to watch people I don’t know, so it could be their tone of voice, a facial expression, posture or clothes that first grabs me and incites me to keep looking.
15. Red or pink? Pink, I think.
16. What is the thing that you like least about yourself? Uhhh… my sin? Oh, that’s too broad? Well, how about my laziness?
17. Who do you miss the most? Probably my Margie. I wish she could always be here and watch my little ones grow up. But I hope that she is able to watch from Heaven. As far as people who are still living, I would love it if my sister lived closer.
19. What color pants and shoes are you wearing? Blue jeans (this is the case about 300 days of the year, I bet) and no shoes or socks (this is the case whenever possible).
20. Have you ever re-gifted? I am sorry to say that I have. Once. (I am sorry because of its reflection on me, not on the gift.)
21. What are you listening to right now? Two baby monitors.
22. If you were a crayon what color would you be? Goldenrod. Because it sounds lovely and makes me think of beautiful countryside drives.
23. Favorite smells? Clean bed sheets, vanilla, and almond-scented soap.
24. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone? My sister Jacqua.
25. Do you like the person who sent this to you? Is anyone really going to answer this in the negative?? In my case, fortunately, I do sincerely like her, though I haven’t seen her in a little more than six years, if I am figuring correctly. And I haven’t spent concentrated time with her since I was… maybe 13 or so?
26. Favorite sports to watch? Basketball, live or on TV. Football on TV but not live. And baseball live, but not for the game’s sake.
30. Favorite food? Waaay too many to list properly. Hearty soups, green salads (no iceberg lettuce!) with my mom’s vinaigrette, summer fruit (berries, cherries, peaches, nectarines, plums) good bread with butter… and all sorts of sweets, especially baked goods.
31. Scary movies or happy endings? Definitely happy endings. Most movies that are even slightly scary are a big no-no for me if I want to sleep ever again.
32. Last movie you watched? Sense and Sensibility (one of my very favorites) on DVD
33. What color shirt are you wearing? Pepto pink.
34. Summer or winter? I would have said winter until I had kids. But it’s so fun to get outdoors with them in the warm weather… I’m now torn. But I love spring and autumn most of all.
35. Hugs or kisses? Kisses from my babies; preferably both at the same time from my husband.
36. Favorite dessert? See #30. Can’t narrow it down.
39. What book are you reading now? Last night I finished The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God by D.A. Carson (a bit scholarly and over my head at points, but still helpful). Not sure what’s next.
40. What is on your mousepad? A mouse! (Duh...)
41. What did you watch on TV last night? We don’t really have a TV. We watch movies on our computer occasionally.
42. Favorite sound? The front door closing as my husband comes home from work.
43. Rolling stones or Beatles? The Beatles, any day.
44. What is the furthest you have been from home? Jamaica, summer after ninth grade, for a mission trip.
45. Do you have a special talent? What’s “special”? I think my talents are all pretty normal. I like to write plays... maybe that's slightly unusual.
46. Where were you born? Doylestown, Pennsylvania--one of my favorite places ever.
I am going to tag Dave and Mari and Jessica. But don't worry--if you're too busy or you're just not the type of person who usually does these things... I completely understand.