Saturday, December 01, 2007

Tuned In

Spent all day today getting ready for Meg's two-year old celebration. I really don't think that Meg has a clue what a birthday is, but I did mention to her a couple of times that tomorrow we are having her birthday party, and that Nana and Grandpop and Aunt Lena and Cubby will be here to see her. I assumed that this was all pretty much Greek to her--or at least that it would go in one ear and out the other. I was still assuming that when I was getting her ready for bed tonight, so I decided to tell her about it one more time.

"Meg," I said, "guess what?" Suddenly her face lit up. Locking eyes with me, she shrieked,

"Nana Cuddy!"

How did she know what I was going to say?
"That's right!" I said in amazement, "Because it's..."

"Bitday!"

More amazement. "Yes, it's your birthday, and..."

"Pahdee!"

"It's your birthday and we're having a party, Meg, that's right!"

She has never uttered the words "birthday" or "party" before today, so far as I know. Wow, Mommy, you better be real careful what you say... and apparently, even what you think!

Someone is listening...

No comments: