Saturday, July 26, 2008

Bedtime Prayer Story

I had to jot down this little story before I forget it...

Yesterday, after a play date in Gaithersburg, the kids and I stopped by the church to see Dave. He was in the auditorium setting up for an event coming later that evening, and the band members were starting to filter in for rehearsal. After we spent a few minutes with Daddy, catching up on the day's news, Meg asked to go up to the stage to "see the music". So Dave took her hand and led her onstage.

Dave Campbell, a longtime Covenant Life member, was just setting up his electric guitar. For many years, "Mr. C." has been using his musical gifts to train the youth of our church in leading worship. My Dave took our little ones over to greet Mr. C., and he knelt down to speak with Meg. He held his guitar so that she could see it and asked if she liked to sing. Then he started gently into "The Gospel Song", which is our favorite lullaby.

Holy God in love became
Perfect Man to bear my blame
On the cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
(Drew Jones)

Meg buried her face in Dave's armpit after the first two lines, so Mr. C. wisely stopped singing. A few minutes later, Dave brought the kids back to me, we kissed him goodbye, and I forgot all about this incident.

But at bedtime, Meg let me know that she had not forgotten. Each night after we pray for Meg, we ask her who she would like to pray for. Usually it's Brandon and Annie, or Kris, Jess and Jack-Jack. But last night, when I said, "Meg, who would you like to pray for tonight?" she answered, "Tall man... church... sing holy God in love became?" I paused to translate in my mind, then asked her, "You want to pray for Mr. Campbell, who sang to you at church today?" She smiled happily and nodded, hiding her face in my armpit. So we prayed for Mr. C. last night, asking God to bless him, his family, and his ministry to our church.

This is the first time Meg has ever asked to pray for a virtual stranger. I'm amazed that she remembered her interaction with Mr. Campbell and seemed blessed by it. And I'm grateful for Mr. C, who continues to impact kids such that they want to worship God, whether it be with electric guitars... or bedtime prayers.

No comments: