Sunday, February 25, 2007

Catching Up

It looks like I have some unexpected blogging time this morning. Meg and I were just stepping out the door to leave for church when the winter storm began in earnest here in Damascus. With ice pellets. Our steps and parking lot were already growing slick after just a few moments of precipitation. I watched it come down for a few seconds, stuck my foot out on the concrete to see how much I'd slide, and decided not to chance it. Now, a half-an-hour later, it's just snowing. Oh, I don't know whether I made the right choice... I certainly wish we could have been at church this morning... but I did have strict instructions from my husband not to take any risks. So maybe this is the right thing after all.

Dave was at a conference in Texas this week, Wednesday through Friday. He went with a group of our pastors and fellow church members to learn from the church that sponsored the event. I haven't gotten to hear Dave's full report yet, but it sounds like it was a worthwhile trip.

Meg and I went to stay with Mom and Lena, since Dad was also away at the conference. We had some good girl time, talking, watching a chick flick, sipping tea, talking. It's been such a long while since I had an unrushed conversation with my mom--this week was a tremendous blessing! Thanks for hearing my heart, Mommy! I love you!

We did have one minor incident while we were there--at least, I hope it was minor. I was carrying Meg down the stairs after her morning nap on Thursday when I suddenly slipped, fell down three of four stairs and landed hard on my lower back. Praise the Lord, Meg was completely unhurt--but scared. I was in quite a bit of pain for those first few moments, but since then it seems to be gradually fading. It is still uncomfortable to bend and to lift heavy things. (Fortunately, mommies don't have to do either of those much! :) I would appreciate your prayers that this would not have any lasting effect on my body.

We also had one exciting moment: Meg said "Mama" on demand for the first time! For the past two months or so, when we have asked her to say "mama" or "dada," she has looked at us and then, in barely a whisper, mouthed something that sounds like "pa-pa-pa, pa-pa." So we know she's been trying, or at least that something in her little brain has been clicking and connecting. But on Friday, while she was playing in Mom's kitchen, I turned to her and said, "Meg, can you say 'Mama'?" And she locked her eyes on mine and said, in a whisper, "Pa-pa-pa." And then immediately, and in a normal voice, she said, "Mama." Well, Mom and I rejoiced and clapped our hands and told Meg how wonderful her new accomplishment was. She liked that a whoooooole lot. After that, when we asked her to repeat "Mama," she most often would just whisper, "Pa-pa-pa," and then grin and clap her hands as if to say, "Can't we just get to the celebration part again?" Ah, well... at least there is evidence that she can be taught!

No comments: