Friday, May 21, 2010

Update on Cubby and Co.

Matthew and Cubby at the beach last August

Thanks so much to those who have asked about my grandfather, Cubby.

For those who may not be aware, my mom's dad went into the hospital almost three weeks ago for a heart catheterization and the possible placement of stents. Then, due to the severity of the blockages in Cub's arteries, which they discovered during the cath, he was scheduled for double bypass surgery just two days later.

Since then (to be brief) there have been many ups and downs. The surgery itself was successful, but an immediate follow-up was required, and the process of getting Cub to breathe on his own again has been arduous. Yesterday the surgical team performed a tracheostomy. We are hopeful that this operation, though not really our original preference, will enable Cubby to get back on track with his breathing, get out of the ICU, and move on to healing and rehab in other areas of his body.

Thank you so much to all of you who have prayed and continue to lift up prayers. I know that Cubby, my mom and dad have all felt them particularly. Making the trek to D.C. every day, interacting with doctors and nurses, and watching her dad's daily gains and losses have been pretty hard on Momma. She's seeking the Lord for faith to strengthen her own heart and trying to minister encouragement to bolster Cubby's faith. And dad tries to help her interpret medical information and keep her from killing herself with exhaustion.

In the midst of Cub's trial, my sister Lena graduated from Towson University (with special honors from her department!) this week. My Gran and Grandpop came to town for the festivities, and I was concerned about Mom's ability to play hostess given her already demanding schedule and depleted energies. And unfortunately, I was completely unable to help, having spent all last week sick myself and caring for a feverish boy this week.

Enter the dear, dear folks of Covenant Life Church: on Tuesday afternoon, Mom arrived home from the hospital in time to grab a change of clothes and head to Baltimore for Lena's award banquet that evening. She opened her door to find the ladies of her care group cleaning, preparing the house for Mom and Dad's guests. The next night, the same group of women collaborated to provide a special celebration meal for my family, so that when we gathered after Commencement, there would be a wonderful, prep-free meal ready for my Mom to serve. Is that amazing, or what?

Dear Debby, Mel, Kathleen, Tita, Becky, Janet, Catherine, Vicky, Jo and Aunt Sherry: I don't know if any of you will ever read this, and I don't know exactly how each of you was involved. But I thank you so, so much. I can't tell you how blessed and relieved I was to know that you were caring for my mom and meeting her needs so practically. Thanks for loving my folks as they serve Cubby through this challenging time. You are heroes to me, and I am moved to tears by your kindness!


Sandi said...


I had no idea about Cubby. I will be praying for him and your fam.

So warms my heart to hear of the amazing care for Nan and the fam. You guys are some of my favorite people in all the world.

Love ya

Julia said...

WE are praying for Cubby... We received updates from your Dad last week but we hadn't heard anything in a while. Gran updated me yesterday but thanks for posting on the blog. We don't want to call so we are dependent upon the internet! So hoping that the procedure is going to help him. Give your mom our love!