Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesday Trivia

Just some things I've been thinking about and/or meaning to write down...

1. Matthew heaved himself overboard for the first time today--that is, he climbed/fell out of his crib. It was close to the end of his quiet play time, and suddenly in the monitor I heard a very loud thump (louder than toys biting the dust, which they do all the time), followed by a hurt-cry that sounded quite close to the monitor itself. (The monitor lives on the floor, under the crib.) I bolted for Matthew's room, opened the door and... sure enough: child on the floor. Lots of tears. (He wasn't hurt much, because they didn't last long.) Now the question is, what do we do to avoid this becoming routine? I don't really want to buy a crib tent, but the mattress is as low as it will go. Any smart-mommy tips out there?

2. I finished reading A Tale of Two Cities yesterday. Wow. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, this was my first time really reading it. For some reason, this book was one of those high school English assignments that I skimmed and/or largely ignored, barely scraping through the unit quizzes. That was pretty rare for me in English. The only other book I can remember not reading thoroughly in all four years was Huck Finn. I know--my loss. Anyway, I do really enjoy Charles Dickens, despite the fact that his plots tend to feel contrived. Though I must say, I was very sorry to learn that he left his wife and the mother of his TEN children and took a mistress. I guess that it is always easier to write sentimental celebrations of good character in others than it is to pursue good character for oneself.

3. When Meg is talking about something that will help her to feel better, her phrase is "feel me better." As in, "Oh, yes, Mommy. I like that medicine. That will feel me better!"

4. I finished memorizing 1 Peter 2:23-25 this morning. It reads,

When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the shepherd and overseer of your souls.

I chose this verse because of a particular struggle I have with my children, which, though weak and ugly, is very real. Here it is: sometimes Meg or Matthew hurts me, physically, and I tend to react in anger. You know how it is with kids--they're just clueless. Matthew loves to grab a handful of the skin on my neck and dig his little fingernails into it. He means it affectionately, playfully, but it's been a repeated temptation for me. Meg, when reading a book in my lap, will sometimes get very excited and whip that hardcover up over her head, where it meets forcibly with my nose. Ouch. This verse from 1 Peter helps me to remember what Christ bore on my behalf--a much deeper pain than anything my kids will ever inflict on me. It reminds me that Jesus did not take matters into His own hands. He didn't retaliate toward those who harmed Him. Instead, he "continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly." I love that. And I love knowing that the fruit of His trusting forbearance was the salvation of my soul! I pray that my (hopefully increasing!) forbearance and gentleness toward my little ones might result in their eyes being lifted to the One who bore their sins in His own body.

2 comments:

Jerusha said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing the verse you are memorizing (and your thoughts). You provoke me. May God continue to give us grace in our roles as Mommy's.

Perhaps Matthew will be so scared by the fall that he won't try it again. :)

megan haughery said...

#1 - i would recommend the crib tent. we had one for our first two who were both determined escapees. i would offer it to you, but they pretty much destroyed it between the two of them :)