Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Silly Little Milestone

Today, after eight days straight of hard work and long hours, my husband has a day off. We had a family breakfast to celebrate being together. French toast and yummy fruit. It is so nice to have Dave home with us!
Cinnamon
As I was preparing the French toast, I pulled my jar of cinnamon out of the cabinet and realized that this was the last time I would ever use it. Just a few shakes and it was empty. Normally I don't make much of the passing of spices--just recycle it and open a new jar, right? But this was the cinnamon that I bought on my first grocery-shopping trip as a married woman. This is the cinnamon that saw us through more than three years of French toast, muffins, and oatmeal cookies. This cinnamon jar was almost exactly the same age as our marriage. So it seemed to me that its expiration deserved just a wee bit of respectful acknowledgement. Farewell, faithful cinnamon jar. You served us well.

There's a song about measuring a year in a person's life by all of the mundane little things that they might do during that year--the cups of coffee they drink, the miles they travel, the tears they shed. I wonder what sorts of things we might use to measure a marriage. Homes occupied? Dinnner conversations shared? Conflicts encountered and resolved? Children raised? Certainly the amount of cinnamon consumed doesn't say much about a marriage. Or does it? If, by God's grace, my husband and I should both live to see the consumption of, say... twenty more value-sized cinnamon jars... well then, maybe that would say something after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"There's a song about measuring a year in a person's life by all of the mundane little things that they might do during that year--the cups of coffee they drink, the miles they travel, the tears they shed."

Sounds like an interesting song. From a Broadway musical, perhaps? I used to sing a song like that with my college roommate (Though only one of us could actually sing.) We've both added a few more "mundane little things" since those days.

Cara said...

I thought that reference might elicit a comment from you, oh K-est of Ks!

"In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights,
In cups of coffee,
In inches, in miles,
In laughter, in strife."

"In five-hundred twenty-five-thousand six-hundred minutes.
How do you measure a year in the life?"

"How about Love?"

You know, that Jonathan Larson was one confused guy, but he was getting close to something with this one, I must say. Even if he didn't know exacly what.