Thursday, December 14, 2006

Proud Mommy Moment

So I know I'm overdue to post birthday pictures and such, but that takes a lot of time, and this post will only take a minute. So I'm doing this one now.

I love seeing how my little girl's mind works. Just a moment ago we were in the living room, playing in the space we've reserved for Meg's toys. Suddenly, she stopped playing and crawled away from me, intently staring down the hallway toward the kitchen as if looking or listening for something. I realized then that the music playing from our computer (which is located in the kitchen) had just changed.

The new song was an instrumental piece that we used at the start of the little video I created to commemorate Meg's first year. And of course, Meg listened to this song many times as I worked on perfecting the video. Every now and again as I worked, I would show her the portion I had completed. And when we played the finished product at her birthday celebration, she was riveted (even though I don't think she knew the pictures were all of her).

So back to the living room: as Meg stared toward the kitchen , I thought, "Does she recognize this music?" Sure enough, seconds later she took off, crawling as fast as those short, chunky legs could carry her. She made right for the computer and looked up at the screen to find out if her video was playing. Of course, it wasn't, and she quickly got distracted by an errant Cheerio on the linoleum, but still... you could tell what had happened in her mind!

It's amazing to me to think that, while we were focused on something totally different in a totally separate room, she heard and recognized that song and knew enough to associate it with a video that she hadn't seen for more than a week! A lot has changed since the days when she didn't even recognize food until it was stuck in her mouth!
What'cha doing, Mommy?

No comments: