Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Lunar Adventure

As usual, I read Graham one of his "things that go" books before his nap yesterday.  This book is one of his long-time favorites, and it has the vehicles broken down by category. So there's a spread called "In the Park" (roller skates, bikes, scooters), there's a spread called "Trains" (steam engine, freight train, monorail), there are pages of airplanes and boats and trucks. There's even a spread called "Into Space," which includes the larger object in this picture:

Now usually I just read the captions to Graham, but recently I've been asking him to name some of the objects himself. He knows many, including stretch limousine, taxi, and hot air balloon. I didn't think he would know this one, which is supposed to be moon landing craft, but I thought I would try. So I pointed to it and said, "What's that?"

Graham was silent for a moment, then he breathed in and whispered, as if overawed, "Space... turtle."

Needless to say, I cracked up, asked him if I'd heard him right, received confirmation, and laughed some more. I swear he made that up just to sound like he knew what he was talking about. He's only two, but I would not put it past him. Space turtle. I wonder if NASA ever considered calling it that? It's not as informative a title, but it's way more memorable. Especially if you whisper it.

No comments: