Tuesday, September 03, 2013

WORD of the Day

O my strength, I will watch for you,
for you, O God, are my fortress.
My God in his steadfast love will meet me;
God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.
Psalm 59:9-10

A couple of notes:
1) Started my day on an emotional low; began reading this psalm, saw all the complaints about enemies making unwarranted attacks, and almost talked myself out of hoping to get anything from it. BUT. The Holy Spirit tugged and reminded me to expect joy from God's Word. So I started over. And there was this beautiful nugget.
2) Love how David addresses God as "my strength." I have needed strength today.
3) Love the purposeful determination of "I will watch for you." As I have purposed to watch for God my strength today, He has indeed met me with his steadfast love.
4) Enemies: Thank God, I don't have any blood-thirsty men hounding me in the streets and plotting to take my life. But I have physical weakness, fatigue, laziness, anger, discouragement, haste, thoughtlessness, pride, selfishness, plain old lack of wisdom--all enemies of my soul that would rob me of joy, peace and usefulness to my Lord today. How sweet the assurance: "God will let me look in triumph" on all of them. Today my victory may be impartial or altogether unseen, but ultimate victory is secure in my Jesus and will be mine when I see Him at last.

No comments: