Friday, August 27, 2010

The Communication Gap, Distilled

In the car today...

Meg: I look like Jessie in this hat and with my hair like this! I look like a Jessie doll.

Well-not-just-like-a-Jessie-doll-because-Jessie-has-two-braids-and-I-just-have-one-pony-tail-and-mine-goes-out-in-the-back-of-my-head-and-it's-not-red-and-I-don't-have-a-red-cowboy-hat-I-mean-a-cowgirl-hat-instead-I-have-Strawberry-Shortcake-on-my-hat-and-a bow-in-the-back-Maybe-someday-I-will-have-a-Jessie-costume-just-like-Matthew-has-a-Buzz-costume-with-red-boots-and-a-hat-and-those-cow-pants-that-Jessie-has-and-then-I-can-be-Jessie-when-Matthew's-being-Buzz-Mommy-tied-my-bow-under-my-ponytail-Why-did-you-do-that-Mommy-Oh-I-see-Maybe-when-we-get-to-the-picnic-today-there-will-be-some-other-people-there-Will-there-be-other-people-there-in-the-picnic-in-the-woods-Mommy-And-will-there-be-a-playground-Will-there-be-food-there-for-us-to-eat-Mommy-Oh-hot-dogs-I-like-hot-dogs-I-want-mine-with-ketchup-please-We're-going-to-Daddy's-picnic-for-work-Esme-and--

Matthew: WHACHOO TALKING BOUT?

WHACHOO
TALKING BOUT???!


And I think that if you took off the filters of manners and maturity, and boiled down most male/female communication to its barest essence, that exchange is almost exactly what you'd get.

IMG_7637

6 comments:

A.P. said...

hahahahahahahahahahahaha :) your kiddos are so funny and oh so cuuute!!

Shannon Anderson said...

Amen to that sister. And the kids are as cute as ever.

Debbie said...

Laughing out loud!

Rachael Boer said...

Love this post, Cara. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Baby Yoga post, too. :) I'll be sure to keep up with your posts; your kids are just too cute! :)

kelly c said...

this is excellent!

Julia said...

I'm howling with laughter. Rob is sitting next me reading over my shoulder at your blog. When we got to the long-winded Meg talking - he leaned back and said "I can't handle the girl talk" and started reading his book. I read on own and started laughing my brains out. He illustrated perfectly the male/female "whatcha talkin bout" reality!!