Monday, November 17, 2008

A Window Entry

I know several other ladies who post an occasional "day book" or "open house" entry on their blogs... this is my take on that idea: just a small window into an ordinary day at our house. Come on and press your nose up against the glass if you want.

What I'm Listening To: Baby monitors. Matthew just fell asleep and Meg just woke up. She was singing the Gospel Song to her stuffed elephant a minute ago. There's a squeaky-braked garbage truck outside our house. Other than that, it's quiet. Dave is taking a well-earned afternoon snooze on his day off.

In Our Kitchen: A few dirty dishes that I ought to be washing right now. Grocery bags full of ingredients for the desserts I'm taking to care group tomorrow evening. Various small toys strewn on the floor. And... a sparkling clean refrigerator! (This was my homemaking triumph on Friday afternoon--long overdue, I'm afraid.)

What My Desk Looks Like: A disaster. Catalogues and papers are stacked up on either side of the computer monitor. 'Tis the season for copious mailings, of course, but I really can't blame the stacks on corporate America. This is a pretty common state of affairs in our home. We're not very good at filing--possibly because we keep the filing cabinets in Meg's closet?? We're working on finding a more convenient location, honest!

What I'm Grateful For: My David. He
spent the morning taking care of the kids so that I could get a few hours out of the house. He played with Meg and Matthew, took them for a brief walk and playground session, gave them lunch, put them both down for afternoon naps, emptied the dishwasher, and started on the breakfast and lunch dishes. (Did I mention that it's his day off?) And he did it all so that I could go study God's Word, read good books, journal, think, plan, pray, and generally be refreshed at the start of another week. I am so thankful to you for making it possible, my Love!

What's For Dinner: Probably veggie chili. We didn't eat much chili growing up in the Nalle household, so I learned my first recipe from Jen (Wahl) Cahalane back in the Abbey days. It's so simple that I could do it from memory after just a couple of times making it. And it's so yummy that my kids eat it without complaint! I also have a small chicken in the fridge that needs roasting... maybe tomorrow...

What We're Reading: Matthew's great love is an oversized picture book called Bunny Fun, by Sarah Weeks and Sam Williams. He also likes The Belly Button Book, by Sandra Boynton, and Good Night, Baby Donald, by some poor soul who works for Disney. Meg adores Calico's Curious Kittens, by Phyllis Limbacher Tildes and Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by someone I can't think of right now, as well as the Apple Tree Farm stories from Usborne. Dave reads lots of things, but most of them can be found on a screen rather than on paper. (He actually refers to his leather-bound Bible as "the analogue version.") I'm enjoying: The Borrowers series, by Mary Norton (great children's literature--I picked up the whole set [hardcover, never read!] at a yard sale last month), Knowing God, by J.I. Packer, Everyday Talk, by John Younts, and Uprooting Anger, by Robert D. Jones. Aahhhhh, I love books.

1 comment:

liqidimond said...

I still make Jen's chili and quesedillas too.