Sunday, June 29, 2008

Father's Day/Dave's Birthday

It seems that Dave is destined to enjoy combined Father's Day and birthday celebrations for the foreseeable future. Since his birthday usually falls on the same day as Father's Day, or on a day adjacent to Father's Day, putting a lot of effort into doing two distinct celebrations doesn't make much sense to either of us. Maybe when the kids are older and can help me with brainstorming and preparations...

Father's Day was a low-key affair at my mom and dad's house, with a meal or two, plus honoring of and cards/presents for the respective fathers (Cubby, Dad and Dave). Lena also had a dance recital that afternoon, after which we dressed Meg up in her tutu and took pictures and video.


Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take any other pictures that day. Silliness.

The next day was Dave's day off, and we had planned to go out to Red Robin and use Dave's free "birthday burger" coupon that we got via email. So after Meg's afternoon nap, we packed the diaper bag with the 62 items that are required for going anywhere with children. Then we waited for Matthew to wake up. Unusually for him, he just kept sleeping and sleeping. And sleeping. On any other day, this would have delighted me. But on this particular day it caused some minor stress as I mentally readjusted plans for the day's real main event, The Surprise Party.

But after a flurry of last-minute calls (literally made as we were walking out the door--I snuck them in while Dave loaded kids into the car in a torrential downpour), we made it to the restaurant and enjoyed a yummy dinner. The plan was for our party guests to arrive at our place while we were out. I hid my house key for them so they could let themselves in, and when we got back, I thought, Dave would unlock the door and there everyone would be, wishing him happy birthday--surprise!!!

Except that there was one teensy, little flaw in my plan. See, I had pictured Dave using his house key to unlock the door when we arrived home. What I forgot was that Dave always uses my set of keys when we go out in the van together... and leaves his sitting on his bedside table. So when we pulled up to the house, and Dave went to unlock the door with my keys, he found... no house key. There we stood, on our front stoop, locked out, discussing what could have happened to that key, while I prayed and hoped that our friends, waiting just on the other side of the door, would figure out what happened and let us in already!

Finally, my mom, who was sneaking furtive glances out our kitchen window, guessed our predicament and came to the rescue. Dave had his back to the door and was in the middle of a sentence about having seen Meg playing with my keys earlier that day when Mom swung the door open. "Happy Birthday!" yelled the gang. Dave stopped talking, turned to face our guests, and shot me a look which spoke louder than words: "OK, you got me." (Two weeks later, I still grin whenever I picture that look.)

It was a very brief, very simple, very small party, and a rather nice one, in my opinion. We ate ice cream cake, chatted, and took a few minutes to honor my husband, and that's about it! Here are a few pictures that my dad captured during our time together...

Dave with Erik and Karis Sheffer (Jerusha and Jotham were there too, but we failed to get them on camera)
D Party 1

Brandon and Annie Averill, looking just adorable (Sorry for the word choice, Brandon, but it's true!)
D Party 4

Annie again, plus Kris and Jess Marcantonio
D Party 5

Jack Marcantonio (Is he a cute kid, or what? Not that I'm biased or anything.)
D Party 3

You-know-who, staying up late to enjoy the company
D Party 2

The man himself (oh, and yours truly), telling stories about copious Mountain Dew consumption in his college days
D Party 6

Dave and Meggy with the "birthday melon" that Jessica created
D Party 7

Somehow, we also failed to get shots of my dad, mom and Cubby, who made up the rest of the party. But I'm so grateful to all of the friends and family who joined us and helped to make my David's day a special one.

I wanted to note here, before I forget, a few of the kind words that our friends shared with Dave. To kick things off, I mentioned two things about my husband for which I am so thankful: 1) his growth in the area of hospitality and his ongoing excitement about making our home a place of fellowship and laughter; 2) the way he intentionally seeks to imitate God our Father in his own fathering. Several times in recent months, as we have discussed issues related to our kids and parenting, Dave has stopped to say, "OK, let's think about how God relates to us and figure out how that informs how we should relate to our kids." This God-centered thinking provokes and serves me to no end, as I tend to be more shortsighted and worldly in my thoughts about parenting.

Other people mentioned things like: Dave's pursuit of consistent times in God's Word, his faithfulness to confess sin, his initiation of meaningful fellowship, his quiet, diligent servanthood at church, his maturity and humility in relating with others at work, and a specific practice of applying the gospel to his every day life. You are a man worthy of honor, my Darling! I am so grateful to be your wife and--God willing--the one who gets to spend another year by your side!

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Happy Birthday Dave! Sounds like you had a great time.