Saturday, November 24, 2007

Simple Words

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I hope you all enjoyed wonderful celebrations of gratefulness to our good God.

Our holiday ended this morning, as Dave headed back to work today to prepare for church tomorrow. Here at home, it was a rough morning with Meg. We are not sure what's going on with her lately--maybe all of that infamous "terrible twos" sin is heightening as we draw toward the actual 24-month marker. Several times today I have choked back bitter anger welling up in my heart, fighting to respond kindly and gently to my writhing, whining, rebelling little girl.

Then at lunch time, as we sat together slurping leftover Brunswick stew, I asked Meg if she liked her food. "Num-num soup, Mama," she replied, pushing another potato chunk onto her spoon. "Num-num soup, Mama."

I told Dave about it, and he said it was Meg's small way of fulfilling Proverbs 31:28. Her children arise and call her blessed. Maybe so. Whatever it was, those few words--mumbled through a mouthful of shredded chicken and lima beans--made my whole morning worthwhile.

No comments: