Saturday, November 03, 2007

Me Dear Sainted Mudder

Nana&Megger2

Today I am writing a seriously overdue post in honor of my momma, pictured above with our Megger. This shot was taken before Matthew was born, on a day when Mom drove up here to take care of Meg so that I could ready our home for a new baby. That is only one of the ways she has served us in the past few months. There are so many more that I know I've lost count.

On the night I went into labor with Matthew, Mom answered the telephone when we called around midnight. I believe she was just about to get in bed after an unusually long day. Instead, she and Lena headed over to the hospital, where they hung out in the waiting room until Matthew was ready to receive visitors. After getting to hold her new grandson for a while, Mom went right up to our house (at about 4:00 a.m.) to take over for our renter, who was monitoring Meg over night. I think Mom was able to sneak in 2 hours of sleep before the new big sister woke up that morning. Later in the day, she took Meg home with her and cared for her until we were released from the hospital the next afternoon.

The first week we were home, Mom spent most days with us, helping with Meg and doing our housework, not to mention cooking us dinner. And let me not forget--she made me several batches of her yummy banana cake! (I love it because it quenches my longing for sweets but, in Mom's doctored up version, is not nearly as bad for you as the original recipe.) Meg was in heaven having her Nana around every day. And we were so blessed to have someone taking care of us as we learned to take care of our new boy! After that first week, Mom wasn't able to be with us as much, but she still made trips up to bring us treats, throw in a load of our laundry, or spend an hour with Meg making up for the attention she was missing from her newly distracted mommy.

More recently, Mom hosted my husband's folks. Since my own home lacks a guest room right now, my parents graciously opened theirs to our favorite Michiganers during their stay. We know that (Dave's) Mom and Tom were much more comfortable there than they would have been if we had squeezed them in here. I'm so grateful for my mom's and my dad's hospitality, as well as Lena's and Cubby's. However, we all know that most of the work of preparing for guests probably fell to my momma. :) And soon she'll be gearing up to extend the same kindness to my other set of in-laws, who will visit us later this week.

My days are sprinkled with other gifts from Mom--phone calls, offers to pick things up from the store, babysitting for our weekly date nights, invitations to dinner on nights when Dave works late, etc. My darling mommy helps me more than I even know, and I do not have a clue what I would be doing without her tireless care and support. What a servant you are, Mommers! Have I ever mentioned that I want to be just like you when I grow up?

(An extra shout out to Dad and Lena, as well as Cub, lest I appear to minimize their contribution to all the ways that Mom serves Dave and me. You guys have first dibs on Mom's time and energy, and you are so very good to loan her to us on occasion--and to help with the babysitting!)

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Amen! She is pretty amazing. I wish I was around to watch Meg for you too! What a joy that would be. I always wanted to be like her when I grew up too.:o)

As for the Redskin jacket.....a gift from the grandparents out east, who faithfully follow their football. I've never liked football. Fortunetly I married someone who feels the same. Now when it comes to hockey...it's a whole nother story.