Thursday, September 25, 2008

One Year Old (by Matthew)

MIW Birthday 1

I made it! I am one whole year old! Mommy got an email the other day from one of those baby websites that sends regular updates about what milestones your kid is supposedly hitting, and suddenly the title was changed. Instead of saying something like, "Your Baby: 9 Months Old", it said "Your Toddler: 1 Year Old"! Did you get that, Ma? I'm a toddler now!

Really, though, they weren't that far off. True, I'm not yet walking as my primary mode of transportation (you can't beat crawling for speed and reliability), but I am getting braver. Instead of taking just two and three steps at a time, I'm now doing five, six, seven, can-I-hold-on-to-my-balance-and-make-it-to-eight steps at a time. Every time I make a longer voyage like this, I get big claps and smiles and exclamations of delight from Mom and Dad, so I try to do it at least once a day. Even Meg encourages me with, "Good walking, Buddy!"

I'm also communicating much more. Unfortunately, screams, shrieks and throwing food off my high chair tray are my preferred means of letting my folks know what I want at meal time. But I am doing a few more hand signs and, verbally, I'm starting to imitate words that I hear--"up" and "down" are my favorites. Yesterday I shook my head "no" to answer a question that Mommy asked me. And she swears that she heard me say "thank you" when she handed me my sippy cup earlier this week! (I don't know about that... sometimes mothers hear what they want to hear, you know?)

In other news, I weighed in last week at 20 lbs., 8 oz. Still a lightweight--I'm only at 10-25% there. I'm more average in the height department, about 30" long. I'm still nursing three times a day, down from four last month. Mommy thinks she's going to wean me completely in this next month (and Daddy's behind it), but I'm still pretty into it, so we'll see who prevails.

And now, here are some pictures from my little party. Between me and Meg, who were both zooming around like crazy, it was pretty hard for Mom to take pictures during the present-opening time. So most of what we have here are shots of me enjoying my cake. Yummmmm... my very first sugar overload!

Since my family calls me "Little Bug," Mama made me a bug cake!
MIW Birthday 2

MIW Birthday 3

MIW Birthday 4

For eating, there was a little bug cupcake just for me. I needed some help to know what to do with it.
MIW Birthday 5

Woah. What IS this stuff?
MIW Birthday 6

Meg had her own little bug cupcake too.
MIW Birthday 7

Wait, is it gone already?
MIW Birthday 9

Hey, don't take my bib off! I just found a glob of icing that I missed!
MIW Birthday 10

Meg helped me open the presents.
MIW Birthday 11

OK, Meg pretty much opened the presents herself.
MIW Birthday 12

Cool! A toy car and train from Grandma Tom and Grandma Dawn!
MIW Birthday 14

And this one I got really excited about: Lightning McQueen balls of all varieties, plus a soft baseball bat and a glove. Now that's a present that a boy can grow on.
MIW Birthday 15

No comments: